How to Apply
The Application Package must be submitted online by 11:59 pm on January 15.
Application Prerequisite / Eligibility
Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution (or international equivalent) is required.
Application for Admission
All applicaiton materials must be submitted online through The Graduate School’s Collegenet portal. A complete Application for Admission consists of:
- Writer’s Statement: Applicants to respond with Writer’s Statement essay in the NU Statement of Purpose section of the application (1-3 pages, single-spaced).
In particular, please answer:
- How do you see your writing in relation to other writers, artists, or theoretical works that have been meaningful to you?
- Are there experiences you’ve had that drive your writing?
- What themes are you interested in exploring in your work?
- What do you want to say, and what makes your work necessary?
- Unofficial transcripts from all higher education institutions attended. Official transcripts will not be accepted by the school.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation. From industry professionals, teachers, mentors – ideally people who are familiar with your writing and work. These letters must be submitted by your recommenders through the Collegenet online portal.
- A 10-page Writing Sample– play, screenplay, teleplay. Either a complete work or an excerpt of one or more works. Whatever gives us the best sense of your potential. No prose, essays, spec scripts or short stories please. (upload into respective section)
- A one-page Synopsis of a writing project you would like to pursue while in the Program. (Please upload under Supplemental Document Section 1)
For non-native speakers the TOEFL or IELTS (not less than two years old). The minimum score for the MFA is 600 paper / 250 computer / 100 Internet based for the TOEFL and 7.0 for the IELTS.
Non-native MFA applicants wishing to be considered for appointment as a Teaching Assistant must submit a minimum score of 26 on the TOEFL speaking section, taken no more than two years before consideration for appointment.
Note: The GRE is not required.
Via the online application is the preferred method for receiving all supplemental materials including transcripts. Portfolio materials will not be returned.
We look forward to receiving your application!